We launched in 2011, and started growing rapidly almost immediately. When we were just setting out we had a really simple brochure website, and we were hosting it at one of the larger web hosts known for being inexpensive. That worked fine for awhile, but as we gained traction, we needed to start adding features like custom shopping cart capabilities. At the same time, we decided to double down on our marketing. With both of those factors hitting at once, problems started to arise.
The most frustrating part of our situation was that whenever we had a question we would sit on hold for half an hour, just to get a level one tech who often wasn’t able to actually solve the problem. We’d get transferred around to different techs, wasting our time and letting the problem linger while we pursued a solution. At that point, we knew we needed a change, so we moved to a different host with a better SLA.
While the support was an improvement from our previous host, it ultimately turned out to be a lateral move. The new host had it’s own sporadic issue where the site would go down and their best solution was to reboot the server every time we called. We didn’t consider it to be a major issue, until one weekend when our site went down for 24 hours because another client on our shared server had been hacked. Again, we decided it was time to move on.